So, I was having an intriguing conversation with my co-worker the other day and she told me that her grandmother (who had a head full of gray hair) started using a garlic shampoo (she couldn’t recall the name of it) in her old age and her hair begin to grow longer, faster, and fuller. I thought to myself, ok thats cool! But then she also told me that her grandmother’s new growth begin to grow out black again. At this point, she had my attention! As her grandmother continued to use the garlic shampoo she almost eliminated her gray hair altogether and her hair was fuller and healthier than it had ever been! I was in complete awe.
I began to ponder. How is it that a 70 something year old woman could go from a head full of thin gray hair to thick black healthy hair? Impossible? I don’t know. But me with my natural hair loving self had to find the answer. So, I began to research the benefits of garlic for our hair and this is what I found:
- Treats baldness
- Treats hair loss conditions such as alopecia
- Promotes hair regrowth
- Acts as a conditioner by inducing each hair strand with vitamins and minerals
- Strengthens hair
- Its antibacterial and antifungal properties helps keep the scalp’s environment bacteria free
- Boosts collagen production which helps with hair growth
- Helps to prevent & reverse gray hair
Why is garlic able to provide such benefits?
The elements in garlic provides these substantial benefits to the hair. These elements include sulfur, copper, vitamin C, & selenium, just to name a few. Below is a list of benefits that these four elements provide.
- Adds strength and elasticity to the hair
- Treats dandruff
- Prolongs the “growing phase” of the hair’s growth cycle which = longer hair
- Promotes hair growth
- Prevents pre-mature graying
- Prevents & reverses gray hair
♥ Note: Melanin is responsible for producing our hair’s color (black, brown, red etc…). When a person is lacking the proper amount of nutrients or specifically copper in his/her diet, then melanin is no longer available for the hair follicles. As a result, our hair will begin to turn gray due to the lack of melanin. In other words, low copper levels= low melanin levels=gray hair.
- Helps to build collagen
- Improves health of hair
- High in antioxidants
- Kills free radicals that hinder hair growth
- Minimizes dandruff
- Helps regulate hormones
As you can see queens, each of garlic’s elements provides a powerful punch to most hair problems, hair growth, and hair color. No wonder garlic is so beneficial! This little herb is a powerhouse that contains powerful elements that collectively work to provide our hair with an environment that is conducive to maintaining healthy hair that grows.
So, how do I use garlic on my hair?
I’m glad you asked! Below is a mask that will help you reap all of garlic’s benefits.
- Extract the juice of about 6 to 8 garlic cloves
- Mix garlic juice with 1 cup of olive oil
- Heat slightly (optional). For heating tips click here.
- Put mixture directly onto scalp and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes
- Rinse mixture out of hair with warm water
- Continue with your haircare routine
For more hair mask recipes click here.
I know what y’all are thinking. You don’t want the potent smell of garlic lingering in your hair. I understand and this is a valid concern. However, there are things you can do to minimize the possibility of the “garlic smell” staying in your hair. You could add your favorite essential oil to the above mixture or you can add it to your conditioner. Do whatever you need to do to sabotage the smell, however, don’t dismiss the idea of putting garlic on your hair because the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.
Have you ever used garlic in your hair? If so, what were the results? For those, who haven’t put garlic onto their hair, is this something that you would try? Please leave your comments and experiences below.